Thursday, May 26, 2022

Chatsworth House
DSC01184edit

Our last breakfast at Losehill Hotel before driving back to Stafford. I miss the views and mehs already! 
20220507_083103

DSC01051edit
St Peter's Church in Hope.
DSC01052edit
Sorry but as a driver, I really detest sharing the road with cyclists. It's almost impossible to keep a 1.5m distance when passing cyclists in Singapore when there's cars in the next lane, which is almost all the time. Equally frustrating to drive behind cyclists on winding countryside roads and you'll just have to pray they are not heading to the same place as you. 
DSC01056edit
Visited Chatsworth House on the way back.
DSC01062edit
This house is different from other heritage houses because the family who owns it actually lives in the house, just in a separate wing that tourists can't access. The Duke of Devonshire owns the estate. 
DSC01063edit

DSC01066edit
Sculptures from Burning Man were on exhibit too. I liked this wind-powered flying(flapping) horse.
DSC01070edit
Entrance to the visitable wing of the house.
DSC01081edit

DSC01084edit

DSC01086edit

DSC01087edit

DSC01092edit
Sculpture by Damien Hirst (the artist who created that glass display of a shark submerged in formaldehyde) called Saint Bartholomew, Exquisite Pain.

Copied this with no APA citations HAHA-
The sculpture stands on a round table which is scattered with the various tools that Hirst used to make the original work. Hirst has said his inspiration for the piece "comes from memories I have of woodcuts and etchings I remember seeing when I was younger. As Saint Bartholomew was a martyr who was skinned alive, he was often used by artists and doctors to show the anatomy of the human body and this is also what I've done. He holds his own skin over his arm and he holds a scalpel and a pair of scissors in his hands so that his exposure and pain are seemingly self-inflicted. It's beautiful yet tragic, and like Saint Sebastian his face shows no pain. I added the scissors because I thought Edward Scissorhands was in a similarly tragic yet difficult position – it has a feel of a rape of the innocents about it."
DSC01096edit
I am no art aficionado, and I am also not educated in this area at all, but I am just going to say what I think which is this ceiling painting is just as mindblowing as Sistine Chapel's LOL DON'T @ ME
20220507_110442
The violin you see hanging behind the door IS ACTUALLY AN OPTICAL ILLUSION PAINTING!!!! I was so amazed. 
DSC01120edit

DSC01122edit
Aren't they cute! 
DSC01124edit
The house is believed to be the inspiration for Mr Darcy's house in Pride and Prejudice, and was also used to film the Keira Knightley film version of Pride and Prejudice. I haven't read the book so I don't know what's the hype about...
DSC01131edit

DSC01132edit

DSC01137edit
The estate has a huge 105-acre garden. 
DSC01157edit

DSC01186edit
A private 45 minutes buggy tour costs just £15 (same price as the ticket to Blue John Cavern) so we went on it of course.  
DSC01202edit
This is the spot where Princess Diana had tea back in 1986 during some event. 
DSC01201edit

DSC01207edit

DSC01225edit

DSC01234edit

DSC01245edit
I'll probably need to visit a few more times to explore the place fully. 

No comments: