Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Buko Nero
20210710_180856edit


Buko Nero was on my list of restaurants to visit for quite a while, and I finally got to cross that off my list with Chinyee for her birthday.
20210710_180918edit
(L) Focaccia and Breadsticks
(R) Cauliflower Purée with Sea Grapes
20210710_181341edit
Marinated Scampi Tails, Myoga Citrus and Caviar
20210710_182731edit
Burrata with Roasted Pistachio and Kumquat Vinaigrette

The kumquat vinaigrette tasted more like salted plums which didn't go well with the burrata and tomatoes, and the addition of roasted pistachio as an additional texture was rather jarring. You usually can't go wrong with burrata but here's an example.
20210710_185005edit
Uni and Scallop Pasta

They were very generous with the uni and scallop, but the uni was quite fishy and the scallop wasn't sweet. I suppose it's just me being picky, after having so many excellent unis and scallops lately.  
20210710_190835edit
Palate Cleanser 
20210710_192121edit
Hanger Steak “Tagliata” Style 

THIS WAS SO GOOD! The bed of roasted vegetables was so sweet and I wish they gave us more of that. The beef was good but the highlight was definitely the vegetables for me.

Overall, the food was decent but the environment was pretty unwelcoming. Don't get me wrong, the service was on point, but it was uncomfortably quiet in there- no background sounds (not even talking about music but just general noises), and the restaurant wasn't busy then, which made me feel pretty self-conscious because it kinda feels like you are eating in a library. Also, while the service was okay, they didn't come off as friendly. I don't know, I'll probably only visit when the restaurant is busier. 

We went to Roji Monster Ice Cream for dessert, which is a shaved ice place and not an ice cream place.
20210710_194729edit
The best part of my experience in there was the ordering process. You pick a card for the base ice flavour that you want, and stamp the toppings of your choice on your card. Yeah it's not very exciting to be honest but it's still the best part of my experience because the shaved ice was a big fat mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20210710_200237edit
You can easily find shaved ice that's half the price of this but taste 100x better. 

No comments: