Friday, July 02, 2021

29
IMG-20210619-WA0085edit

I had left this post in my draft, unpublished, while sorting through more photos I thought of including (read: procrastination). Then Kira passed, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to post something of a jovial nature since I don't identify with that feeling anymore, at least not this soon.

I noticed that my mind has a coping mechanism for overcoming anything traumatic, a process that I have no control of. Memories gets locked into a compartment, and shoved down the memory dump. Shortly after my grandma passed, I couldn't remember how she looked like anymore. Days after I got my heart broken, I couldn't remember how he sounded like. Soon enough, it's almost as if the person didn't exist at all.

But I don't want to forget Kira. I don't want to forget his barks, the way his paws grip onto my fingers, his snores, the way he grunts for doors to be opened. I have been going through all his photos, desperately, again and again, memorising the memories, candid or of milestones. 

Futile attempt or not, I wish I had more details. What were we doing then? What were we feeling exactly? At least the photos came tagged with the time and date, but I want more. 

Someday, we will be losing someone again. It could be you that I'm losing, or it could be me you're losing.

Till then, I'll keep recording little chapters of memories in this photo diary. I promise it'll come in handy.

20210615_075933edit
Birthday Mee Sua
20210615_111849edit
Red eggs are what I look forward to the most on my birthday. The mum (finally) figured out the right recipe and made super bright ones this year.
20210615_112403
More birthday noodles
IMG_4628edit
I sent this photo to Mac's mum, Agnes, in reply to her birthday greeting. I've long figured it's probably a template email she sends, but at least she takes time to reply your reply. 
Agnes DeMarco
In the afternoon after Kira's cremation service, I had a meeting with a consultant that I worked with three years ago, but did not keep in touch with. Interestingly, she asked about Kira, because apparently I brought Kira to the office then, and she even took photos with him. This came as a shock to me, because I rarely bring Kira to the office. So rare, that I even forgot I did. I wouldn't have believed her if not for the photos.

But anyway the point is, we don't know what little memories we plant in other people's minds. And also,  Agnes knows how my doggos and I look like now hahah.

Went on two staycays on my birthday week-
20210616_121705

20210616_121603
They got my mental age right!
20210616_182530edit

20210617_182146

20210616_184455edit2

20210617_085725edit
We were still in Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) then, so we ate all meals in the room. Not complaining when you have a view like this.
DSC07008edit
Walked to the National Gallery on one of the mornings and I was pretty much swearing "fuck this weather" the entire time. Anyway, we took a grab on the return leg. 
20210617_113806
I think we have a really amazing museum. We even joined a free Building Highlights tour; totally unplanned, a friendly docent got us to put our names down.  
20210617_114959

20210617_124025
There was a NDP rehearsal going on that day so we caught a free airshow. 
20210616_140906edit
Got my tattered watch strap replaced as well.
DSC07004edit
Shinsora for lunch on Day 1
DSC07018edit
Saint Pierre for lunch on Day 2

I actually wrote a dish by dish commentary on the menu provided with full intentions of sharing about it here, but left it behind in the hotel. Here's what I remember-

(Box on the Left)
Row 1:
HAMACHI: amachi, oba, carrot
TOMATO: amela tomato, avocado, yuzu kosho 
CAVIAR: N25 caviar, scallop, white asparagus 
Row 2:
CRAB: hairy crab, white corn, almond (what's up with the stringy texture)
TROUT: cherry trout, violet artichoke, rocket
PRAWN: angel prawn, pine nut, basil (the pine nut spoiled it for me)
Row 3:
IKURA: ikura, green asparagus, créme fraiche
MADAI: madai, beetroot, wasabi
MARRON: marron, pea, finger lime (love)

(Box on the Right)
Row 1:
TRUFFLE: truffle, trombetta, hazelnut
BEEF: omi beef, mushroom, radish 
PIGEON: anjou pigeon, golden raisin, cornichon (hated this.)
Row 2:
FUMAISON: fumaison cheese, truffle honey (LOVE. That truffle honey was amazing)
COMTE: 36-month comte cheese, grapes
MELON: ripe melon, sauternes 
Row 3:
CHOUX: caramel pecan petit choux 
MACARON: raspberry macaron
CHOCOLATE: passionfruit chocolate

It's a hit and miss, but I would still like to dine at Saint Pierre someday.

The next staycay was with Xinyu at Capitol Kempinski. We have a birthday tradition (I have a same one with wanzhen as well) of surprising each other with a weekend staycay. We'll know the date, of course, but not the location, and what we'll be doing that weekend. We would even go as far as getting the transport sorted so we won't know the location until we get there. I love it. 

20210619_135522

20210619_140535

20210619_220745
The hotel overlooked our dinner order (we waited for a whole hour before checking in with them) so they covered the bill as a service recovery. It was another hour before we finally got our food. No complaints, because we ordered double the amount of our original order after knowing it's free #singaporean
IMG-20210620-WA0017

20210619_173443

20210620_092020edit
The breakfast at Kempinski is way better than Fullerton's,

Looking forward to the next one! 

No comments: