Friday, June 10, 2022

start of candle season // good food bad food
IMG_9812

Finally got to check Bar-Roque Grill off my list! 
20220608_203502edit
Cheesy tarte flambée. This would make a perfect 下酒菜, albeit abit expensive ($24) to be a 下酒菜 hahah.
20220608_205717edit
SO GOOD. So much better than Bread Street Kitchen! (Well, it's not difficult to be better than Bread Street Kitchen, to be honest.)
IMG_9819
Yay to my first candle! Also, their desserts are surprisingly quite good, though they lack finesse. But I would rather have delicious but ugly desserts than pretty but disappointing desserts!!  
IMG_9833
I think looking tired is a sign of aging that REALLY SHOWS ON MY FACE.

Always a good time with yuehui and I'm still reminiscing all the fun I had on her wedding day (and also the drunk fool I was lmao) 

20220605_122749 (1)
Had waffles and ice cream at The Humble Scoop over in Katong with Shifu and their ice cream... weren't great.

The waffles were nice - crispy and fluffy, but their ice cream were mehhh. Well, the pulut hitam and salted coconut & gula melaka were okay, but it's the sorbets that were really questionable - we tried sugarcane and attap chee, which I suppose are flavours that are difficult to "ice-creamify", but yeah I would rather eat them as they are than have them as a sorbet.

Now comes the bad food-

Had dinner at Yi Qian Private Dining (which was nothing private other than the ulu location) and it was so disappointing! I guess the fact that we had to wait for over a month to get a table had unwittingly set some expectations which were all NOT MET. 
20220603_201723
No idea what this is (weiyen and bryan did the ordering) but this is best described as overcooked stem. Tasteless. 
20220603_202128
I love century egg and I thought you can never go wrong with century egg but THAT'S TWO WRONGS (the century egg went wrong, I was wrong). Their century egg was also quite tasteless (there was no distinct century egg flavour!?!) and at this point I questioned if I was displaying Covid symptoms but everyone else felt the same. So, it's either we all have Covid (which is highly unlikely since we have two people who were freshly recovered), or their food is just bland.

I know Teochew food (this is a Teochew restaurant) is not as flavourful as Cantonese food, but this is just... someone forgot the seasoning or something. 
20220603_203143
This takes the cake for the worst dish of the night. I think the intestines were not properly cleaned, so they were foul and it made the braised duck sitting underneath it foul as well. OMG.
20220603_205409
Oyster omelette with oysters that are not fresh. 
20220603_201927
This was their only saving grace, but it is of no credit to the chef because it is just steamed and chilled as it is. 

We ordered a couple of other dishes which I can't be bothered to post.

Anyway, you'll be better off having dinner at your coffeshop zi char place than here. 10/10 would not recommend!  

No comments: