Monday, July 09, 2018

Gjógv: Gjáargarður Guesthouse
DSC06981edit


Staying in this guesthouse was part of the deal I made with myself: If the trip materialises, then I must stay here, no matter how out of the way it is.

This whole trip was kind of a logistical nightmare; the decision to not drive and rely completely on public transport couldn't work as well as I wanted - that I knew right from the planning stages (E.g. no buses run to the village of Gjógv on the weekends, but I had to get from Gjógv to Tórshavn on a saturday.. so I had to take a cab.)

And there's always the fear of missing the bus (because that may very well be the only bus running that day. Or waiting 2 hours for the next bus (happened to me twice, that's holding my pee for an additional two hours on top of however long I already did).)

There was one time where I missed the bus because I couldn't find the damn bus stop, and there went my bus. That was the worst moment of my entire trip; I was tired, cold (shoes were soaked), hungry, and needed to use the toilet desperately. And of course my phone had to choose that exact, dramatic moment to die. But at least there was another bus in two hours. That was a hard and long two hours.

DSC06968edit
Gjáargarður Guesthouse! I got to the guesthouse at about 10pm because of the flight hiccup, and the housekeeper headed home right after she gave me my keys (out in the rain). (Bear in mind this is no hotel with a 24-hour reception at your service; I called them up once I knew about my delay to inform them of my new arrival plans.)

"Your room is up there. Have a good night!"

No check-in procedures, no verifying if I'm even the right person she was waiting for. But I guess there's no need to. Gjogv is a very small and quiet village.
DSC06970edit

20180614_220650edit

20180614_221203edit

DSC06974edi
Waking up (and sleeping) to this view.
DSC07033edit
The Sun never sets in summer.

No comments: